With the growth of the Australian nut industry, and as people become increasingly more health aware, the interest in nuts and nut products has never been greater. See the Walnut Health and Nutrition page for more information.
Of all nuts, walnuts have the richest and most distinctive flavour. Walnuts are one of the most popularly used nuts in food preparation. Although more commonly used in dessert dishes, cakes, loaves and biscuits, walnuts are also used as an addition to a range of other foods (eg the waldorf salad).
The Walnut Products page of this site identifies many of the forms in which walnuts are made available.
The list of recipe ides which include walnuts is endless. The following links identify some of the better walnut recipe websites.
- Walnut Desserts, Cakes and Loaves
- Salads Using Walnuts
- Walnut Soups
- Walnut Sauces, Pastes and Dips
- More Recipe Sites
Breads and Spreads (Australian Walnut Industry Association)
- Walnuts (Epicurious)
- Walnut Cakes and Loaves ( Graftedwalnuts – UK)
- Walnut Desserts (Cooks.com)
- Baklava with Walnuts (International Recipes)
Figs with cinnamon, almonds and walnuts
Method: Place the orange juice, cinnamon and star anise in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and add the figs. Poach the figs for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Continue to simmer the orange poaching liquid until reduced slightly. To serve, spoon the figs into serving bowls and scatter with almonds and walnuts.
Courtesy: The Gympie Times
Use of walnuts in salads (Australian Walnut Industry Association)
Walnut Sauces, Pastes and Dips
- Walnut Spreads and Dips (Ifood)
- Walnut Sauces and Dips (Graftedwalnuts – UK)
- Walnut Dips (Epicurious)
- Walnut Recipes ((Australian Walnut Industry Association)
- Walnut Recipes (Wellwood Wallace)
- Chef Selection (California Walnuts)
- Walnut Recipes (Walnut Recipes.net)
- Walnut Recipes (Epicurean)